Spanning a versatile range of longer-than-normal focal lengths, the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR from Nikon is a portrait to telephoto zoom offering a bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture, intuitive handling controls, and a sophisticated optical construction. This revised layout now includes six extra-low dispersion elements, as well as one fluorite element and one high refractive index element, to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and sharpness. Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings further benefit image quality by reducing lens flare for improved contrast and color accuracy and fluorine coatings on the front and rear elements protect against dust, moisture, and smudging.
Balancing the optical attributes, the lens also features a series of robust physical and handling assets, including a four stop-effective Vibration Reduction system to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. A Silent Wave Motor AF system also contributes to sharp imagery with quick, quiet, and smooth focusing performance that is suitable for both stills and video applications. Four focus buttons are featured on the lens barrel for easily activating AF Lock, and full-time manual focus override is also available. Additionally, the lens also sports a weather-sealed magnesium-alloy construction for working in harsh environments, and the removable, rotating tripod collar spins on ball bearings for smooth and quick shifting between vertical and horizontal shooting.
- Designed for use with FX image sensors, this 70-200mm lens is also compatible with DX sensors where it will provide a 105-300mm equivalent focal length range.
- Constant f/2.8 maximum aperture offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and using selective focus techniques.
- Six extra-low dispersion elements combine with one fluorite element and a high refractive index element to significantly reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing, as well as increase contrast, clarity, and apparent sharpness for a richer image quality.
- Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Fluorine coatings on the front and rear elements afford protection to the optical system.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed stops to better enable handheld shooting in low-light situations. Additionally, a dedicated Sports Mode is optimized for photographing when using panning movements and a Tripod Mode suppresses subtle ground vibrations.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. An internal focusing design is also used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Four focus buttons are positioned on the lens barrel for intuitively engaging autofocus or AF Lock functions.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
This mechanism limits the compatibility of this lens to the following cameras: D5, D4, D3 series, Df, D850, D810, D810A, D800 series, D750, D700, D610, D600, D500, D300 series, D7500, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100, Nikon 1 J1, J2, J3, J4 with FT-1, Nikon 1 V1, V2, V3 with FT-1, and Nikon 1 S1, S2 with FT-1.
- Weather-sealed design and magnesium-alloy construction is able to withstand dust and moisture for working in harsh environments.
- Additionally, the zoom and focus rings have been switched compared to previous 70-200mm models, with the focus ring closer to the mount now for more natural handling and control.
- Removable, rotating tripod collar spins on ball bearings to permit quick and smooth switching from vertical to horizontal shooting orientations.