A More Intelligent 'R'
Combining resolution and precision, the Sony a7R V is the mirrorless camera designed for those who crave detail. Featuring a 61MP full-frame sensor, all-new AI-based autofocus system with advanced subject recognition, 8K video recording, and 8-stop image stabilization, the fifth-generation a7R is reliable and well-rounded for both photography and video applications.
Exmor R BSI Sensor and BIONZ XR Processor
61MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
Featuring a back-illuminated design, this full-frame 61MP Exmor R CMOS sensor offers a mixture of incredible resolution with high clarity, low noise, and a wide 15-stop dynamic range. The sensor's structure promotes impressive image quality and a copper wiring layer dramatically improves data transmission speed for creating 14-bit, high-resolution 61MP stills with a native sensitivity range from ISO 100-32000, which can be further expanded to ISO 50-102400.
Improved Processing Engine
A new BIONZ XR processing engine offers up to 8x greater processing performance compared to previous generations, which enables faster overall performance, impressive image quality with wide sensitivity and dynamic ranges, and more fluent processing that's capable of handling a bevy of AI tasks and intelligent AF alongside imaging processes. This processing system also reduces rolling shutter and other motion distortions for clean rendering of moving subjects.
In terms of shooting speeds, the sensor and processor enable up to 10 fps shooting, at full resolution with a mechanical shutter, for up to 583 consecutive compressed raw frames, with full-time AF/AE. If shooting JPEG only, more than 1000 frames can be recorded in a single burst.
Updated 5-Axis Image Stabilization
- Updated for the a7R V, the in-body image stabilization system has been revised to support up to 8 stops of camera shake compensation. This 5-axis stabilization system combines a high-performance gyro sensor with an optimized algorithm for more precise shake control and improved communication between the camera body and lens.
- Additionally, specifically for video, there is also an Active IS mode that adds even more precise stabilization methods for even smoother footage straight out of camera. Also, this digital stabilization system has been updated with a new algorithm that offers the best stabilization performance when paired with select OSS-enabled lenses.
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
This unique compositing mode allows you to achieve even greater resolution than the 61MP sensor affords. Working in conjunction with the sensor-shift image stabilization, this mode shifts the sensor while making 16 consecutive exposures in order to acquire approximately 240.8MP of information for greater color accuracy and detail than possible with a single exposure, along with an impressive image size of 19,008 x 12,672-pixels. These files can then be merged together during post-production by using the Sony Imaging software suite.
Accurate Exposure and Color
- New auto-exposure algorithm can detect skin area in faces in order to more accurately balance exposures for portraits. This AE method is approximately 20% more reliable, even in backlit or direct sunlight situations, or even when the subject is not directly facing the camera.
- Deep learning technology, along with external visible light and IR sensors, also contributes to more accurate color reproduction and auto white balance processing.
AI Processing Unit
Using dedicated processing, the a7R V's autofocus is greatly benefitted by more intelligent subject tracking and recognition capabilities along with the reliable hybrid AF system Alpha cameras are known for. Real-time Recognition AF works with seven different selectable target types:
- Human, which tracks body and head positions for accurate portraits. Real-time Eye AF performance has also been improved by 60% thanks to the human pose estimation capabilities.
- Animal, Bird, and Animal/Bird modes are now 40% more accurate for tracking and recognizing a variety of animal types. Recognition of these subjects includes dogs, cats, birds and more, with the ability to pinpoint focus on eyes and recognize animal bodies and heads.
- Insect recognition offers even finer performance with the ability to detect the head or entire insect subject.
- Car/Train and Airplane recognition means the camera can detect the front part of a train, nose of an airplane, or easily detect the entire fast-moving subject.
Real-time Tracking benefits from AI-based subject recognition for following moving subjects, making it particularly well-suited to sports and action subjects. Also, Human pose estimation allows the camera to distinguish between multiple people and maintain focus on the targeted subject; even if someone crosses in front, the camera maintains focus on the key person.
Advanced Fast Hybrid AF
- Covering 79% of the full-frame image area, or 100% of the APS-C cropped area, a Fast Hybrid AF system incorporates a dense 693 phase-detection point grid for quick and precise focusing in a variety of lighting conditions with sensitivity down to -4 EV. This focusing system is available for use in all recording modes, to benefit both video and stills applications.
- Full-time DMF (Direct Manual Focus) enables using the lens's focus ring for manual focus control at any time, making it easier to switch focus to a different subject even when working with AF.
- For photographic moving subjects, this AF system keeps up with the top 10 fps continuous shooting speeds, offering full-time AF tracking between each consecutive frame.
- In-camera Focus Bracketing is possible, with the ability to record up to 299 frames with sequentially shifted focus points for creating composite images during post-production with greater-than-possible depth of field.
AF During Video Recording
- Real-time Eye AF is fully supported during video recording, for subject detection and tracking of human, animal, and bird eyes while shooting.
- Focus Map is a unique way of visualizing depth of field and functions in a similar way to peaking with a colorful overlay of the scene that indicates which parts of the scene are in front of and behind the focus point depending on the chosen aperture.
- A feature carried over from the FX6 digital cine camera, AF Assist lets you intuitively switch over to manual focus control for adjusting focus position when working with AF. This is a quick way to shift selective focus between various subjects in a scene while recording.
- A unique solution to compensate for how certain lenses perform when racking focus, Focus Breathing compensation will automatically smooth focus transitions and maintain a consistent field of view when changing the focus position during a shot. This mode crops into the image slightly and corrects for any detected shifts in composition when focusing is happening.
8K 24p and 4K 60p Support
- Making use of the high-resolution sensor and fast processing capabilities, UHD 8K 24p and UHD 4K 60p XAVC HS 10-bit video recording is possible using the full width of the sensor with full pixel readout for impressive sharpness and realism.
- If using a Super 35 crop, full pixel readout recording is possible at up to UHD 4K at frame rates up to 30p or 6.2K oversampling can be used for greater sharpness and detail.
- Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling is possible at up to 4K 60p in XAVC HS and XAVC S-I and, if recording externally via the full-size HDMI A port, 16-bit raw output can be used for even greater tonal reproduction and post-production flexibility.
- Raw output is supported at up to 4K 60p and simultaneous internal 4K recording is possible, too.
- The a7R V employs a pair of codecs to suit different workflows: XAVC HS, which uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to retain more detail at smaller bitrates and XAVC S-I, which is an intraframe codec for consistent performance and quality at higher bitrates.
- If recording in Full HD, high-speed, 120 fps recording enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording with the frame rate playback set to either 30p or 24p.
- No recording time limit allows for unlimited clip lengths and the camera's physical design features an improved heat-dissipating structure to promote longer possible recording times.
Advanced Color Control
- S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering that matches the FX9, FX6, a1, and a7S III cameras and is based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, such as the VENICE. This color profile offers natural mid-tones, soft colors, and especially well-controlled highlights.
- Affording extensive customizable color and gamma controls, the you can adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. Also, users can use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility.
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support is also available, along with the BT.2020 color space, for recording within a wide color gamut and, in addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also available for producing a 15+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
WARNING: This product may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Attention to all California residents, Proposition 65 or officially known as, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, is a law that requires warnings be provided to California consumers when they might be exposed to chemicals identified by California as causing cancer or reproductive toxicity. The warnings are intended to help California consumers make informed decisions about their exposures to these chemicals from the products they use. The California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) administers the Proposition 65 program and publishes the listed chemicals, which includes more than 850 chemicals. August 2016, OEHHA adopted new regulations, to go into effect on August 30, 2018, which changes the information that is required in or on Proposition 65 warnings.
We want you to know and be aware of our product safety and CameraMall is taking all of the necessary steps to comply with the applicable safety and health requirements made by this Proposition 65.
Additional Information about Proposition 65
For background on the new Proposition 65 warnings, see https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/new-proposition-65-warnings.
Proposition 65 and its regulations are posted at https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/law/proposition-65-law-and-regulations.
To give CameraMall any notices of an alleged violation of the California Health and Safety Code Section 25249.5 or 25249.6, you must send us a notice at firstname.lastname@example.org.